Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Avoiding Disaster

I am sure everyone is like me in that they have many fond memories stored on their computer.  Have you got a plan in place to ensure that you will continue to have them after a hard drive failure. You say yeah, I've got that covered. Same as I was, I had a backup but what happened caused me to lose about a year and a half of precious photos and videos that I'll never get back.  I had a hard drive failure on my computer and while trying to recover a new drive with a backup from My passport external drive the power went out corrupting some areas on the external drive.  Hence the loss of memories and a lot of files.
So I changed my thinking on backups and recovery a lot. Now I keep identical backups on two external drives, one that stays connected and one that is stored and only used when a new backup is created. It was like a Murphy's Law thing...what can go wrong, will go wrong. Also, I use Acronis True Image now instead of Windows backup software which seems to be more resilient to power problems.
So if you have lots of photos and videos that you don't want to lose, develop a plan for your backups to make sure you have them as long as you wish.  I hope my disaster and loss saves some of you from the same happening.
Hang on to those memories!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment